Thursday, January 31, 2008

Beautiful soup, so rich and.. er... orange!

I waited in the rain for 20 minutes this morning, as the number 1 bus made up its mind whether to come, or not. Had I caught a bus immediately, I would have been rapidly ensconced in my normal early-morning fug of cigarette smoke from the boys at the back of the bus. Happily buried in my library book I would have sat in traffic until I got to work.

However, this morning, the bus was late or missing and I was cold, wet and blustered by the time it arrived. I still got stuck in traffic and so I was 15 minutes late for work. Better than that, the powers that be had decided to schedule the most vicious part of the morning's rain/hail storm to commence at the exact moment I got off the bus, and last exactly long enough for me to get totally drenched while crossing the road to our building. Eugh! The cars were busy on harborne road, and didn't want to let a bedraggled female cross in front of them, perhaps my pitiful soddenness offended them in their cosy, watertight cars...

When I entered the building I removed my raincoat to stop it dripping on my trousers, and left a puddle in the hall. I got upstairs, totally soaked from the waist down and spent the next two hours with cold, bare feet as I waited for my socks and shoes to dry. The bliss of hot-water-pipe-warmed socks on cold-but-dry feet brought forth sighs of rapture, but the best of all was the bowl of thick, scented, velvety soup I'd packed for my lunch. A good bowl of soup does wonders to cosset a cold soul, and my sweet potato and cumin puree was absolutely delicious! Thank heavens I have some more for tomorrow - they're threatening snow!

1 comment:

Cottage Smallholder said...

Great post, Clare. You have inspired me to make soup. We have some sweet potatoes in the larder!